© Copyright 2017 Emile Henry
USING THE RECTANGULAR BAKING DISH
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 bunch spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1.2kg baby spinach or silverbeet
- 2 tbsp chopped dill
- 250g Greek feta cheese, crumbled
- 150g full-fat ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated kefalotyri or parmesan cheese
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
- 12 sheets filo pastry
- 120g butter, melted
- Heat oil in a frypan, then add onion, shallots and garlic. Cook for 1 minute until softened, then add spinach and half the dill (if using silverbeet, remove leaves, and chop before adding; discard stalks). Cook, stirring, over low heat for 1-2 minutes or until spinach has wilted. Drain and cool, then combine with cheeses, egg, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush a 47cm x 27cm rectangular baking dish with butter.
- Lay one sheet of filo and brush with butter. Repeat with 5 more sheets.
- Spread cheese mixture over the top. Cover with remaining filo, brushing each sheet with butter. Trim excess pastry with kitchen scissors and tuck edges into sides of dish.
- Brush top with butter and score in diamond patterns.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until golden. Rest for 10 minutes. Warm remaining butter, add remaining dill and, when serving, pour over sliced spanakopita.