© Copyright 2017 Emile Henry
Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Pie
USING THE SQUARE BAKING DISH
- 1 x 375g Carême All Butter Puff Pastry, defrosted
- 1 egg, lightly beaten, for glazing
- 2kg whole ‘cooked’ chicken, meat removed from bones and shredded
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 2 brown onions, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 250g field mushrooms
- ¼ cup plain flour
- 250ml chicken stock
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 125ml thickened cream
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- Sea salt and freshly ground
- black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tsp dried tarragon
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves
- 1 egg yolk beaten with a little milk for glazing
- Preheat oven to 200°C fan-forced (220°C non fan).
- Add olive oil to the pan over a medium-low heat. Add the celery, onion, garlic and mushrooms stirring to combine, cover and cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until onion is soft.
- Add flour, stirring to combine followed by chicken stock and lemon zest. Add cooked chicken to the pan, then bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 15 minutes or until mixture thickens.
- To finish, add cream, lemon juice and herbs to the mixture, check the seasoning, transfer to the Square Baking Dish and allow to cool completely.
- Dust workbench and pastry with flour, roll the pastry an extra 2cm all round.
- Place pastry pie filling over baking dish, tuck in the sides and crimp. Cut a vent from the centre of the pastry, then score with a sharp knife, brush with egg glaze. Place on a baking tray, bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes then reduce temperature to 180°C fan-forced (200°C non fan) and continue to bake for a further 15 minutes or until pastry is crisp and golden.